A few years ago, Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King pushed a harmful measure that could have gutted anti-cruelty laws across the country and stripped the authority of states to protect animals from abuse and consumers from unsafe food. The efforts of thousands of animal advocates and others ultimately defeated the measure. Now, Rep. King is back with his disastrous legislation.
Rep. King's bill could undercut the will of the people and force states and localities to allow the sale of dangerous and inhumanely-produced products. It is the single largest threat to animals in the United States.
HR 4879/HR 3599 poses a very real threat to animals all over the nation:
- California could be forced to allow the sale of foie gras, a notoriously cruel “delicacy” produced by jamming a pipe down the throats of ducks and force-feeding them until their livers become enlarged and diseased, despite a state law banning its sale.
- Georgia and other states could be compelled to allow the sale of dog meat.
- Illinois and other states could have their bans on the sale of horse meat overturned.
- Rules in Louisiana and other states preventing the sale of abused and sick dogs from puppy mills could be wiped out.
- Massachusetts could be forced to allow the sale of eggs from hens locked in cramped battery cages, despite an overwhelming public vote to prohibit the sale of these products. Battery cages are so small that the birds kept inside can barely move and eggs from battery cage facilities have higher rates of salmonella.
Congress shouldn’t undermine the ability of states to protect their constituents and animals. Please raise your voice and speak out today against HR 4879/HR 3599.
Please take a moment to call your U.S. Representative and two U.S. Senators today. Look up your legislator's phone number. You can say, "As your constituent, I urge you to vocally oppose Rep. Steve King's HR 4879/HR 3599 and any similar attacks on state and local measures protecting animals and consumers that may arise in the House or Senate."
And sign our petition!
Stop disastrous legislation that would gut animal protection laws